Monday, April 25, 2016

Advertisements that make my head hurt: Part 1

I have been wanting to put a message out there for companies who have sub-par brand managers, and even worse agencies executing the adverts. I wonder where the concepts of brand maps, concept boards went when I look at these adverts.

I also feel bad for the company that puts these ads out, because clearly it doesn't help create the connect they'd wished for, or does it? I leave it to you. To me, it simply makes my head hurt. And if anything makes me never want to invest in these products.

I will continue to enhance this post, with more adverts... But here are a few to get you started.

Contender number 1: The Vivo IPL 2016 advert.

Now this advert, I am sure the brand manager thought that the message he wanted to convey was good. The association that the team tried to create was that of positive thinking. But, unfortunately, the song that plays in the background makes ones blood pressure rise.

So here it is for your viewing pleasure.



Contender number 2: Rupa Vest Advert

I do not want to say anything about this. Zohan has been copied shamelessly. I am not even sure what the message is this guy is trying to convey



Contender number 3: Oppo Smartphones

All I can say about this is, OH MY DEAR GOD! WHY!

Hritik Roshan looks like a creep trying to fix eye bags on Ms. Sonam Kapoor. Who herself manages to use filters to change her look from that of a normal human being to a South-East Asian woman. Why, I ask, WHY!? And why do we have a guy playing the accordion in the background is beyond me, and honestly adds to the irritation quotient of the advert.

I know Chinese companies generally make terrible adverts, but this one takes the cake, simply because of the amount of money they must have spent on the slots, the actors, and the agency.



Contender number 4: Vimal Pan Masala

I don't know what Pan Masala has, as in terms of contents, but I am sure people do not start hallucinating the way they show in this advert. Ajay Devgan ought to revisit his career choices again.


Contender number 5: Lyra Leggings

Now I have been assaulted by this ad quite frequently at cinemas. I hope Prachi Desai goes back to making chapatis at home that she was doing anyway, after starring in Rock On, because quite clearly her career did not go any where.


Contender number 6: Manyawar
I have decided I will never let anyone I care about wear Manyawar clothing. Why? Well because of this advert.


Contender number 7: Sprite

I am not a huge Sprite fan, and after seeing this advert, I am thankful I stick to drinking Amul Masti, a spiced buttermilk, and after seeing this commercial, I recommend you don't drink Sprite  out of care for the intellect and intelligence of a normal human.


Contender number 8: Frooti

Now, I respect Shahrukh Khan as an individual, however I firmly believe he sucks at acting, dancing, and generally at films. Not to forget even at adverts. I only hope folks at Frooti wake up, hire a better agency, and re-look at brand ambassadors.

Here is the commercial that makes absolutely no sense to me. Again, the brand is so powerful, and Parle is loved by the masses so much, the product manages to tick, despite the horrendous adverts, and the terrible brand ambassador.





Contender number 9: Thumbs Up

Salman Khan shouldn't have been retained as brand ambassador for the company, after his frequent run-ins with the law, is what I feel. However, if he was retained, at least make him star in adverts that don't say: "Kuch toofani karte hain" (lets do something that's terrifying)

After all, maybe this toofani bit landed him in trouble in the first place. Unfortunately, the drink is loved by the masses, given its slightly "coarser" taste when compared to other dark colas in the market. The target segment that favors this drink also varies, it is not just the young, urbane, risk taking junta, but is also loved by the slightly mature populace. Given its' origins, a Thumbs Up becomes an instant hit when paired with a spicy biriyani, or a oily chhole kulche/ bhature.



Contender number 10: He Deodrants

So the point of this advert is, if you do not use this deodorant you shall never be interesting. Also, this kind of proves what we all have known for a while, that deodorants are like your bag of wafers, filled with air. In fact in this advert, it seems the gas is lighter than air.



I will rest my case for now, but I will come back with more on terrible adverts, that make your head hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment